httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Wed, 11 Nov 1998 08:55:11 GMT
> Sorry, "almost everyone" is mainly Apache developers here. Others expect that
> a "configure" script uses the paths they are used from "configure" scripts,
> i.e. paths defined in the GNU standards. The only people who expect things in
> other locations are those who think "configure" isn't GNU Autoconf-style.

I don't really see how the default APACI layout is any sort of GNU
standard.  What other packages create stuff like:

  /usr/local/<package>/bin
  /usr/local/<package>/sbin
  /usr/local/<package>/var/log

??

I have a box with a whole whack of GNU packages installed with the default
prefix and a 'find /usr/local -type d -name bin -print' only shows a
single bin directory under /usr/local for me apart from a couple of weird
ones inside the Mozilla src tree and expat.  But not a single
/usr/local/<package>/bin directory.

Looking over the autoconf docs I don't see any sort of reference to a
standard directory layout other than the fact that the default prefix is
always /usr/local.

-Rasmus