httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: automake/autoconf/libtool for 2.0
Date Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:54:32 GMT
> >I think we have plenty of autoconf experience here.  I don't think it will
> >be a problem getting this done in 2.0.  And in fact, I'd like to propose
> >that we don't make it an autoconf system but rather an automake/libtool
> >system.  Seeing a configure.in.in file is probably going to make a few
>
> Yep, that was pretty much agreed to long ago, though I've never seen a
> configure.in.in file (automake uses configure.in and Makefile.am).
> I can set it up, but not until I can put enough free hours together
> to really understand the 2.0 package as a whole.  I doubt that will happen
> until mid December (I need to advance to candidacy some time soon).

True, configure.in.in is something we are using locally here.  I forgot
about that.  Basically we are pre-processing configure.in with the
following:

makefiles=`echo ext/*/Makefile.am | sed -e 's/\.am//g'`
sed -e "s#@@EXT_MAKEFILES@@#$makefiles#" configure.in.in > configure.in

And then in configure.in.in we have:

AC_OUTPUT(libphp3.module config.h build-defs.h \
    Makefile contrib/Makefile \
    lib/Makefile lib/regex/Makefile \
    main/Makefile os/Makefile sapi/Makefile \
    ext/Makefile ext/mkextlib @@EXT_MAKEFILES@@,...

This allows us to add new extensions (modules) to the system without
having to modify configure.in to tell it about these new modules.

I think for Apache we would need something similar.

-Rasmus