httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Mon, 09 Nov 1998 20:09:29 GMT
> Agreed.  I just find it odd that the people who have worked so
> hard on providing this functionality (mostly but not entirely Ralf)
> haven't devoted at least a little effort to getting the real thing
> to work in the 2.0 tree -- or at least a skeleton.  They clearly
> have a deep understanding of how autoconf works, which is much
> more than I have -- so I hope they'll use some of that expertise
> to make the 2.0 autoconf environment as excellent as possible.
> I'd rather see the effort go there than into APACI.  MHO, though.

I think we have plenty of autoconf experience here.  I don't think it will
be a problem getting this done in 2.0.  And in fact, I'd like to propose
that we don't make it an autoconf system but rather an automake/libtool
system.  Seeing a configure.in.in file is probably going to make a few
peoples' heads spin, but it really is a nicer way of doing things when you
have to deal with generating shared libraries and a bunch of seperate and
optional modules.

-Rasmus