httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: mod_negotiation/3430: Enhancement: MultiViews, Multi-Language Documents
Date Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:37:10 GMT

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Martin Kraemer wrote:
> > >
> > > It's been my understanding that the URI should only be
> > > used as a basename, not as a tokenisable quantity.  I'd
> > > like a reading from the protocol cop.. Roy?
> >
> > How about (another new directive?)
> >
> >    <Directory somewhere>
> >      NegotiationFormat   "%n.%L.%T.%E"
> >    </Directory>
> >
> > to denote that document names for basename %n are constructed in a
> > format which has first the language %L (en/fr/de), then the type %T
> > (txt/html/gif) and finally the Encoding %E (gz/bz2/Z) ?
> >
> > It would even allow people to put their language versions into
> > different subdirectories ("%L/$n.%T" -> en/index.html) -- as seen in
> > many servers (where you have to click on a flag to get your locale's
> > version - urgh!)
>
> You could pretty much emulate that now with:
>
> <Directory ~ /en/>
> DefaultLanguage en
> </Directory>
>
> (except in this case you have to do the above for every language you store
> in separate sub-directories). This would allow you to replicate the whole
> directory tree until a top-level "en" directory, for example.

Which is what you have when you inherit an NT Netscape or IIS site which
you have to redo (cause it became too expensive to buy new hardware, and
you could do it on BSD with a fraction of that). As this is the suggested
approach in the SuiteSpot documentation.

But with the RewriteRules you can actually map quite easiy

	http://foo.bar/some/where/(??)/xyz.html
and
	http://foo.bar/en/some/where/xyz.html

To something more sensible. (Unless they have _also_ translated the URLs.
:-().

Dw.