httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: mod_negotiation/3430: Enhancement: MultiViews, Multi-Language Documents
Date Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:31:34 GMT

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Martin Kraemer wrote:

> > > It's been my understanding that the URI should only be
> > > used as a basename, not as a tokenisable quantity.  I'd
> > > like a reading from the protocol cop.. Roy?
> >
> > How about (another new directive?)
> >
> >    <Directory somewhere>
> >      NegotiationFormat   "%n.%L.%T.%E"
> >    </Directory>
>
> I've actually been thinking about this in generic terms. The fundamental
> problem to solve is how to obtain meta-information about a resource
> (meta-information being the content-type, languages, charset, etc). At the
> moment this comes from mod_mime when it looks at the extensions of the
> file, in any order (apart from if an "unknown" extension appears, of
> course).
>
> mod_negotiation has its own way of specifying meta-data, in a type-map
> files. This is bad because you can easily get different meta-data from the

Or it picks it up from what has already been inferred from the file
extensions I believe.

> type-map as you do from the file extensions. E.g. if the type map
> correctly maps doc.html onto type text/html, charset iso-8859-1, language
> en, encoding none, that is fine. But the a request for plain "doc.html"
> (which doesn't go via mod_negotiation) does not get any of the meta-data
> returned in the response apart from content-type. I think that this is a
> major problem with type-map files (and the reason why I use multiviews
> instead, even though it is slower). Mod_negotiation should be concerned
> about negotiation _only_, and should not ever set its own meta-data.

Yes I completely agree... and

> So generic meta-data would mean we should take the current type-map
> parsing out of mod_negotiation and put it into mod_mime. Then we could
> provide a directive to say whether mod_mime to obtain meta-data from
> unstructured extensions (as now), from a structured filename (as above),
> or from a meta-data source file.

This makes sense.

> Mod_negotiation's type-map file would then just become a list of variants
> for a particular resource (thus making it easy to create and maintain).

This makes a lot of sense; but as soon as you start having variants, in
particular when the variants are for and charset, language I am lost on
how to proceed.

Because the browser/OS comes in here; ideally charset and language are
coupled (latin2+croatian, latin1+dutch, sJ+japanese, ..)  but one often
wants to send a latin1+croatian to a poor windows user on IE3 who is in
the UK; so that he has a fair change to read it.

So perhaps you need to add another step; or mergine this into
mod-negotiation after the type setting has been moved to mod_mime, which
is this sort of coupling of the variants.

Dw.