httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: mod_negotiation/3430: Enhancement: MultiViews, Multi-Language Documents
Date Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:50:24 GMT

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Martin Kraemer wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 22, 1998 at 10:14:33AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > pcs@apache.org wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the comments. Your main point is that you
> > > would like a request for (say) doc.htm to negotiate
> > > amongst files called doc.en.htm and doc.fr.htm.
> >
> > It's been my understanding that the URI should only be
> > used as a basename, not as a tokenisable quantity.  I'd
> > like a reading from the protocol cop.. Roy?
>
> How about (another new directive?)
>
>    <Directory somewhere>
>      NegotiationFormat   "%n.%L.%T.%E"
>    </Directory>
>
> to denote that document names for basename %n are constructed in a
> format which has first the language %L (en/fr/de), then the type %T
> (txt/html/gif) and finally the Encoding %E (gz/bz2/Z) ?

Apart from the dreaded .pl = perl versus polish mix; my personal feel
is that the various extensions are picked up OK, i.e. at the moment on
our site

	index.en.latin1.html

works quite ok, regardless of the order; and also responds sensibly if you
fetch index.html or even plain 'index'.

> It would even allow people to put their language versions into
> different subdirectories ("%L/$n.%T" -> en/index.html) -- as seen in
> many servers (where you have to click on a flag to get your locale's
> version - urgh!)

That is actually a bit of an issue; and I was forced to build this into
mod_i18n.c

> And it would solve the ambiguity between .pl (Perl) and .pl (Poland)
> by configuration and convention.

Which I see as a feature rahter than an issue.

But you are right; for the next major release it would make sense to
really make all MIME dimensions fully independend and well defined;
implied from location, extension, directiory etc ,etc.

Dw.