httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@c2.net>
Subject Re: mod_negotiation/3430: Enhancement: MultiViews, Multi-Language Documents
Date Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:22:31 GMT
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Martin Kraemer wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 1998 at 10:14:33AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > pcs@apache.org wrote:
> > > Thanks for the comments. Your main point is that you
> > > would like a request for (say) doc.htm to negotiate
> > > amongst files called doc.en.htm and doc.fr.htm.
> >
> > It's been my understanding that the URI should only be
> > used as a basename, not as a tokenisable quantity.  I'd
> > like a reading from the protocol cop.. Roy?
>
> How about (another new directive?)
>
>    <Directory somewhere>
>      NegotiationFormat   "%n.%L.%T.%E"
>    </Directory>
>
> to denote that document names for basename %n are constructed in a
> format which has first the language %L (en/fr/de), then the type %T
> (txt/html/gif) and finally the Encoding %E (gz/bz2/Z) ?
>
> It would even allow people to put their language versions into
> different subdirectories ("%L/$n.%T" -> en/index.html) -- as seen in
> many servers (where you have to click on a flag to get your locale's
> version - urgh!)

You could pretty much emulate that now with:

<Directory ~ /en/>
DefaultLanguage en
</Directory>

(except in this case you have to do the above for every language you store
in separate sub-directories). This would allow you to replicate the whole
directory tree until a top-level "en" directory, for example.

Paul