httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 ideas
Date Mon, 16 Nov 1998 00:54:05 GMT

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Mark D. Anderson wrote:

> the network. However, you lost me in your transition from "1Gb" of data
> to "1Gb/s" of bandwidth. The bandwidth to the system could consist

If you have more than 1Gb of data which is "active", i.e. required, in any
given second, then you're dealing with at least 1Gb/s of outgoing
bandwidth.  Yeah you could need more, I'm just saying 1Gbyte is the
minimum -- any less bandwidth and you'd be reusing some data, i.e. you
wouldn't "require" all the data.  This is an extreme case, and as you
point out, far from what a real site would see... which is why I was
implying "why don't you think the disk can fit in RAM?"

> (2) Regarding implementation approach, what I was trying to ask in
> my stumbling fashion was for a comparison between: (a) mapping the

Oh, if you want to play fun games, then you don't want a real filesystem.
What you want is a disk layout that very closely resembles TCP/IP packets
including precomputed checksums and the work.  Then a minor amount of
twiddling at xmit time gets you the packets you want for the wire.

Unless you're fortunate enough to have intelligent network cards that can
do their own packet assembly.

Dean