httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 ideas
Date Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:04:04 GMT

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Mark D. Anderson wrote:

> Or would it turn out that the file system has the same
> set of trade-offs that a userland web server would: in the end,
> you have don't have as much RAM as you have disk.

Is that true though?  It's not that expensive to buy a 1Gb+ x86 system
these days.  Does your all static-content site have that much *busy* data?
If so, I suspect you've got one hell of a backbone... and in that case you
can afford an alpha with many multiple gigabytes of RAM.  If in one second
you need more than 1Gb of data in ram, your outgoing bandwidth is at least
1Gbyte/s... no?

The kernel vs. userland debate requries some measurements.  On NT is
definately a win.  On some unixes, it may not be worth the extra
difficulty in implementing the kernel-side daemon.

Dean