httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_actions.c
Date Mon, 09 Nov 1998 17:38:45 GMT

On 8 Nov 1998 fielding@hyperreal.org wrote:

>   I would have preferred to use a configurable table for new methods,
>   but the current API is too dependent on methods being represented as
>   a bitmask.  We need to rethink this in the next major server version.

I suggest that during config modules are required to register all the
methods they will use, and the core returns a pointer/integer/whatever
which can be used at run-time to figure out what method a request is.
(Hide that test in a macro/inline...)  This allows for a perfect-hash of
the common methods, and allows for extensability.

I don't think the bitmask is all that important to keep...

Dean