httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject classic user who can't read
Date Tue, 03 Nov 1998 18:20:13 GMT
While there are lots of these around, this one was so good I just had to
post it here.

Their initial post:

>I got the following error messages when I start "sbin/apachecntl start":

>[Mon Nov  2 14:42:45 1998] [notice] Apache/1.3.3 (Unix) configured --
>resuming normal operations
>[Mon Nov  2 14:42:45 1998] [emerg] (46)No record locks available: fcntl:
>F_SETLKW: Error getting accept lock, exiting!  Perhaps you need to use the
>LockFile directive to place your lock file on a local disk!
>[Mon Nov  2 14:42:46 1998] [alert] Child 13329 returned a Fatal error...
>Apache is exiting!

>even the sever is started.
>I tried to uncomment the directive "LockFile" in httpd.conf and specify the
>same directory as error_log file, the result is the same.

I then said "well, is that on a local disk?".

Their response?  Oh, "do I need to put it on a local disk?".

Sigh.  I'm not sure which is worse.  People that don't look for error
messages or just say "error message" or people who look at them
without reading them.