httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:10:14 GMT
Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>Ben Hyde wrote:
>>
>> The new configure mechanism is just plain better we should cling
>> to that one fact.
>
>Well, some would argue whether it is or not. Some people prefer
>editing Configuration and then typing Configure over using configure.

Although I'm generally a fan of no-brain automatic configure scripts,
I'm a bit leery of APACI mainly because of the extent to which Apache
is configured at compile time (and given that we have many thousands
of web sites running on Apache we have to do this reasonably
carefully). The Configuration file has the advantage that you can add
a commentary on the decisions you made when editing it.

A second-best option would be to use mod_so and leave module
configuration to the httpd.conf file rather than to obscure
compile-time options that can be easily lost, but this has
implications for portability and performance.

I certainly dislike the idea of complicated command-line options to
APACI configure that permute the order of the modules.

Tony.
--
       7yuc zhd2**f.a.n.finch
            fanf@demon.net