httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: mod_negotiation/3430: Enhancement: MultiViews, Multi-Language Documents
Date Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:42:10 GMT
>It's been my understanding that the URI should only be
>used as a basename, not as a tokenisable quantity.  I'd
>like a reading from the protocol cop.. Roy?

Think of a URI like any other name.  The person who owns the name can
interpret it however they like, whereas some other person using the
name is best off just using what they are told (treating it as opaque).
The httpd defines its own namespace, so it can interpret its own URI
however it likes, with the obvious caveat that whatever it does needs
to be explained to the administrator in the documentation.

In other words, we should define a consistent formula for mapping
from URL basenames to some set of variant names and then stick with it.
My preference is to always send a 300 if the client is HTTP/1.1 or
known not to puke on 300, since server-side negotiation sucks.

BTW, Koen Holtman has said to me that he is (or will be) working on a
rewrite of mod_negotiation.  If you guys are interested in doing a bunch of
stuff in that module, it will probably be best to sync with him first.

....Roy