httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: mod_negotiation/3430: Enhancement: MultiViews, Multi-Language Documents
Date Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:14:33 GMT
pcs@apache.org wrote:

> Thanks for the comments. Your main point is that you
> would like a request for (say) doc.htm to negotiate
> amongst files called doc.en.htm and doc.fr.htm. That
> would involve a significant change from the current
> behaviour, which will only negotiate amongst
> documents matching doc.htm.*. Your suggestion does make
> sense, and would remove the artificial requirement that
> extensions appear in a particular order (which is
> not a requirement anywhere else in Apache).

I'm not sure we can legally do what's requested in any event,
since it means having detailed understanding of the submitted
URI rather than treating it as an opaque quantity.  It seems to
me that if we're going to break "doc.htm" down into tokens,
we'd need to return a 300 code for user selection even if
the only file matching was 'doc.en.htm'.

It's been my understanding that the URI should only be
used as a basename, not as a tokenisable quantity.  I'd
like a reading from the protocol cop.. Roy?
--
#ken	P-)}