httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Jones <b...@fccj.org>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3 and APACI: Points of view
Date Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:28:30 GMT
Christof Damian wrote:

> Related to this: I think it might be useful to have at least a
> "official" RPM for Apache on apache.org. The same goes for the common
> modules (mod_ssl, mod_perl, mod_php* ). At the moment probably everybody
> using a RPM based system has to find or create them himself.
>
> If he gets one from redhat-contrib for example, the next upgrade might
> be packaged from a different person, and all file location might have
> changed. If you rely on the official redhat stuff you might wait long
> for upgrades.
>
> just a thought,
> damian

In my expereince with using Apache on various systems is that the
directories are generally standard when I get the build from Apache.org

But when, for example, I get it from RedHat, they have the config
strewn across several areas.  Whether that approach makes it easy for
someone to maintain or not is debateable.  I do know that the
Apache.org structure makes it easier for me to assign one person
to do the WWW job - with just about everything in one directory,
instead of several.

PS - Are these posts getting thru?

My 2 cents :]
-Sneex-