httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:36:44 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> > I don't really see how the default APACI layout is any sort of GNU
> > standard.  What other packages create stuff like:
>
> >   /usr/local/<package>/bin
> >   /usr/local/<package>/sbin
> >   /usr/local/<package>/var/log
> > ??
>
> > I have a box with a whole whack of GNU packages installed with the default
> > prefix and a 'find /usr/local -type d -name bin -print' only shows a
> > single bin directory under /usr/local for me apart from a couple of weird
> > ones inside the Mozilla src tree and expat.  But not a single
> > /usr/local/<package>/bin directory.
>
> The stuff is described in GNU's `standards.texi' document under `7.2.4
> Variables for Installation Directories', etc.  There they describe where
> particular files should go under `prefix': user binaries to bin/, system
> binaries to sbin/, local state data under var/, etc. pp.

On my mostly-vanilla RedHat 5.1 system, there's nothing in
/usr/local/{bin,sbin} that I didn't put there myself by hand, and
there's no /usr/local/var at all.  Are you suggesting that RH re-did
each and every GNU tool they include as part of the system installation?
Maybe they did -- I don't know -- but it would seem odd.

It rather sounds like 'standards.texi' (?) is more wishful thinking
about guidelines than an actual set of commonly-followed conventions.

#ken	P-)}