httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:28:34 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> > I also agree that --compat should be the default, and not be required to
> > put things where almost everyone expects them to be
>
> Sorry, "almost everyone" is mainly Apache developers here.

Um.  There were over 1M sites running Apache when 1.3 (with APACI)
was released.  Which means that probably close to 1M sites had
installed the 'old' way.  Even now that's over 50% of the Apache
user base, so I don't think either side can reasonably claim
'almost everyone.'

> > +1 to making the default _exactly_ the same as Configure. The hell with
> > the archives.
>
> Sorry, but then I'll vote -1. Making it totally similar to Configure makes new
> confusion: First because people are already used to APACI's paths (harmless
> problem) and second because a script named "configure" usually doesn't imply
> Apache paths in the users mind (big problem).

Well, then so much for your remark about being willing to adjust
the paths, Ralf.  You've just contradicted yourself by essentially
saying you'll veto anything that changes the default from
the current behaviour.

I don't see any room for compromise here.  One side wants the default
APACI path behaviour to be Apache Classic, and the other wants it
to be GNU Classic.

Consider this: someone who's used to the configure-style interface
is already used to lots of command-line options, yes?  So what's
one more (--use-GNU-paths) to it?  Someone who's used to the
Apache Classic paths, on the other hand, is going to be handed
a rude surprise unless it remembers to add '--compat' to the
bewildering and unfamiliar welter of options it already has to
type.  It may come to love APACI, but I don't know how positive
the initial experience will be if that little detail is forgotten.

FWIW.

#ken	P-|}