httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:55:18 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Martin Kraemer wrote:
> >
> > I have the feeling that the main concern of Ken and you (and mine and
> > Marc's, in part) are the fact that the default paths are different
> > from the "standard" locations (/usr/local/apache/{conf,logs,htdocs}).
>
> I have three concerns; two technical and one philosophical.
> The technical concerns are the divergence of the paths and
> the divergence of support (ref. this suExec change that
> only works if you use configure).  The philosophical
> issue is about the change of 'direction.'

Quite - and I'm starting to find that other modules that used to "just
work" with Configure now require hand-patching (and the supposedly
better configure route requires a slew of command-line flags as long as
your arm to just get you back to where you were before it was
"improved").

I also agree that --compat should be the default, and not be required to
put things where almost everyone expects them to be (not forgetting that
not using --compat doesn't just change absolute paths but also where
things live relative to the server root and other completely arcane
shit).

> I'm most concerned about the technical issues.  ISTR the
> path business was discussed madly with no change resulting,
> but no resolution either.  But I'll need to review the
> archives before I can comment intelligently on it anew.

+1 to making the default _exactly_ the same as Configure. The hell with
the archives.

Cheers,

Ben.