httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: error behavior change from 1.3.2 to 1.3.3
Date Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:04:36 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> In Apache 1.3.2, my module could use ap_log_rerror() to drop an error
> into the "error-notes" field. I would then return HTTP_CREATED and the
> error that I registered would be placed into the body of the response
> (in the ap_send_error_response() function).

Unfortunately, there were numerous complaints about the fact
that this behaviour revealed things like the URI-to-filesystem
mapping scheme, primarily on 500 status pages.  And the
error-notes text was frequently inappropriate for other displays.

> Examining the code, it would appear that I cannot simply return
> HTTP_CREATED any more, but that I must handle all response activity
> and return DONE instead. A similar situation would hold for other
> status codes that ap_send_error_response() does not recognize.
>
> Is this the case? Must I go through with ap_send_http_header(), writing
> of the body, etc?

You should be able to call ap_custom_response() to do internally
what ErrorDocument does from the config directive level.
See http_core.c.

> Or have I overlooked a way to return a status+message "correctly"?

It would be nice if ap_custom_response() allowed for the
setting of a callback routine as an alternative to the
current ErrorDocument-style settings.  But not yet.. you
need to work within the current ErrorDocument-style constraints.

> p.s. should I try questions like this on the apache-modules list first?
> that list seems rather dead...

Well, it's dead as long as people don't ask questions
there.. :-)

#ken	P-)}