httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Mon, 09 Nov 1998 19:51:17 GMT
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> I am a big fan of autoconf'ing Apache.

So am I.

>                                         However, this has very little to
> do with APACI.  APACI is not autoconf.  APACI is a lookalike script which
> mimics the configure script which autoconf generates.

I disagree.  APACI wouldn't exist if there weren't an
"Autoconf Now!" party. :-)

> This is not an argument either way.  Just clarifying that APACI does not
> mean autoconf and as far as I am concerned none of this APACI stuff should
> survive in the 2.0 tree.  It should be a real autoconf system.

Agreed.  I just find it odd that the people who have worked so
hard on providing this functionality (mostly but not entirely Ralf)
haven't devoted at least a little effort to getting the real thing
to work in the 2.0 tree -- or at least a skeleton.  They clearly
have a deep understanding of how autoconf works, which is much
more than I have -- so I hope they'll use some of that expertise
to make the 2.0 autoconf environment as excellent as possible.
I'd rather see the effort go there than into APACI.  MHO, though.

#ken	P-)}