httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Mon, 09 Nov 1998 19:30:19 GMT
'Way back when, APACI was floated as an autoconf-like thing
for 1.* for those who wanted to use it, since we weren't
prepared to autoconf-ify the 1.* process.  It was *not*
supposed to be a replacement for src/Configure, but an
alternative for those USERS who felt more comfortable
with the autoconf Tao and didn't want to wait until 2.0. <g>
The group made the conscious decision to NOT do autoconf for
1.*.

Somehow, APACI has turned into something much more than
its original proposal, and appears to have exceeded its
charter -- to the extent that configuration fixes (like
this suExec thing and mod_perl) are being made to work
with APACI at the expense of working with src/Configure.

I do not question the value of APACI for those who use it
(I don't, at least not yet), but I'm annoyed that somehow
it seems to be becoming the de facto build method when the
group decision was made to *not* do autoconf as the
default until 2.0.  Unless the *group* has silently adopted
it as the default, I would prefer that we stick by our
original decision.

It's interesting to note that none of the APACI/autoconf
stuff has been done in the apache-2.0 tree, where we agreed
autoconf would be the Tao.

Oh, well.

#ken	P-)}