httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: ANN: mod_dav now available
Date Fri, 06 Nov 1998 12:36:08 GMT
[ I had originally intended to reply just to you, Stefen, but new-httpd
munges the Reply-To and it burned me. I'll stick with convention and
keep going this way... :-) ]

Stefan Arentz wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 03:19:43AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > Stefan Arentz wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Greg,
> > >
> > > This is really good! I was just investigating WebDAV myself and had
> > > almost started implementing it.
> >
> > Thanx. Guess I released just in time :-)
>
> Yup. A bit off topic, but do you know of any web authoring tools that
> are alreay WebDAV compliant? How did you test it yourself?

Earlier tonite, I added a section to my mod_dav web page that talks
about clients since people have been asking quite a bit.

I tested the server using Python scripts (yes, Python rules :-). Those
are on my page now.

Regarding authoring tools: there aren't any yet. I think I beat the
tools to public availability :-). Microsoft FrontPage and Office 2000
will be DAV-capable, and NetObjects' NetFusion is supposed to be.

Now that a DAV-capable server is available, then people "should" be able
to write clients. I've got one half of the chicken and egg :-)

> > > Modules like this one are the type of thing that will make Apache
> > > really competitive with IIS.
> >
> > Yup. Although I'm motivated by the functionality rather than the
> > competition. Keeping Apache at the top of the Netcraft survey doesn't
> > hurt, though.... hehe
>
> Yup. Functionality is more important, I totally agree, but regarding to
> the Halloween document it would be nice to show the world what kind of
> wonderfull software there already is available for Apache.

That was definitely a wild sense of timing. I'd been working on the
module before the Halloween Document, of course, but I was quite amused
when it came out and I saw the sections about DAV in there (I know
MSFT's complete position on DAV since I used to work there, but it was
funny seeing it mentioned a little bit). Note that Eric has added a
comment into the Halloween I doc to refer to my mod_dav page.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/