httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Bixby <ma...@spock.dis.cccd.edu>
Subject Re: EINTR from fopen() in ap_pfopen()
Date Fri, 20 Nov 1998 19:59:36 GMT
Dean Gaudet writes:

> SIGALRM is the only likely culprit... look for timeout info in your
> error_log...

The scenario as I presently understand it:

I'm using an SVIPC shmxxx() scoreboard.  This #defines OPTIMIZE_TIMEOUTS.

I'm browsing against the server, and the various children are handling my
requests.  The parent OPTIMIZE_TIMEOUTS code decides to SIGALRM one of the
children that has previously served me 5 .html or .gif files.

The child alrm_handler fires.  Debugging code I added shows that alarm_fn is
being called and never returns, so I assume that a longjmp is being done.  This
is waaaay more than I wanted to know about Apache.  ;-)

Meanwhile, I am continuing to browse.  40 seconds after the child's alrm_handler
fired, it gets another one of my requests.  And the .htaccess fopen() in
ap_pfopen() dies with EINTR.

I've asked in my HP support call if that 40-second deferred EINTR is a feature
or a bug.  It will be awhile before HP answers.  I've never written signal
handling code myself, so I don't know the answer (the manuals aren't very
explicit).

So what should I do here?:

1) Add MPE-specific "if EINTR then retry" code to ap_pfopen()?

2) Add general EINTR retry code to ap_pfopen()?

3) Switch to using a scoreboard file instead of shm?

- Mark B.