httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <martin.krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: [Lisa Gerlich <li@tenet.edu>] Enabling Apache for WHIP
Date Thu, 19 Nov 1998 23:58:37 GMT
On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 10:32:21PM -0500, Bill Jones wrote:
> > Subject: Enabling Apache for WHIP
> > of "drawing/x-dwf"  that links to a filetype of "dwf".
>
> While I cannot speak for the group, this is addressed in
> the mime.types file.
>
> You simply need to reformat it into the
> correct written way that Apache wants it:
>
> drawing/x-dwf	dwf

I agree with Ken that modifications to mime.types should happen
very cautiously, prefereably only if the IANA defines the new types.
Types which are not very widespread, especially if the have the
"unregistered / experimental" x-prefix, usually don't meet this
criterion.

Types which were not registered by the IANA should go into the
local httpd.conf, in this case by adding a line

    AddType drawing/x-dwf dwf

This is because the contents of mime.types is considered "const"
(in contrast to any *.conf files) and will usually be replaced
without checking when the server is upgraded.

    Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Mch.SNI.De>      |        Siemens Information and
Phone: +49-89-636-46021          |        Communication  Products