httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:52:32 GMT

In article <Pine.WNT.4.05.9811110344010.-108993@helium.jetpen.com> you wrote:
>> Sorry, "almost everyone" is mainly Apache developers here. Others expect that
>> a "configure" script uses the paths they are used from "configure" scripts,
>> i.e. paths defined in the GNU standards. The only people who expect things in
>> other locations are those who think "configure" isn't GNU Autoconf-style.

> I don't really see how the default APACI layout is any sort of GNU
> standard.  What other packages create stuff like:

>   /usr/local/<package>/bin
>   /usr/local/<package>/sbin
>   /usr/local/<package>/var/log
> ??

> I have a box with a whole whack of GNU packages installed with the default
> prefix and a 'find /usr/local -type d -name bin -print' only shows a
> single bin directory under /usr/local for me apart from a couple of weird
> ones inside the Mozilla src tree and expat.  But not a single
> /usr/local/<package>/bin directory.

> Looking over the autoconf docs I don't see any sort of reference to a
> standard directory layout other than the fact that the default prefix is
> always /usr/local.

The stuff is described in GNU's `standards.texi' document under `7.2.4
Variables for Installation Directories', etc.  There they describe where
particular files should go under `prefix': user binaries to bin/, system
binaries to sbin/, local state data under var/, etc. pp.

That we use /usr/local/apache and not /usr/local as the default prefix was a
decision of the group (because it was the old prefix). I wanted to use
/usr/local, of course.

So when you run ./configure --prefix=/usr/local for Apache and various other
GNU Autoconf based packages they fit together very well.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com