httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <martin.krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3 and APACI: Points of view
Date Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:31:21 GMT
On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 02:54:53PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I will try to sum up my POV. As I do so, I want people to
> mull over in their minds the 2 mutually exclusive statements above:
> "Every one is free to use the non-APACI way" and "we stop supporting
> the old interface." If this means during 1.3.x or even 1.x.x, then I
> think it's a mistake.

100% agreed. I think nobody really thought they wanted to drop Configure.
(definitely not in 1.x).

> I think for many people, it was
> becoming obvious that the end goal was, in the 1.3.x development
> cycle, to make APACI the official build method yet in a very subtle
> way. Hence the debate.

I'm not so sure. As configure is a layer around Configure (and not a
replacement), I think even Ralf's intention was not to drop the "old"
interface within the 1.x life line, but instead use it to our advantage.
(Simple detection/configuration of the DSO stuff however was difficult
with the standard solution, so the apaci configure HAD to exceed its
"limits" in this respect).

> Do I think APACI should replace Configure? No. At least not in the 1.x.x
> cycle. For 2.0, the ball's up in the air.

That's how I see it as well.

> One suggestion would maybe help. If ./configure is called with no arguments,
> and there is a src/Configuration file, that ./configure simply feed
> that right to Configure and that it not "override" anything... So that
> ./configure and src/Configure would produce the EXACT same binary.

That would mean especially that the default paths are the traditional...
#define HTTPD_ROOT "/usr/local/apache"
#define SERVER_CONFIG_FILE "conf/httpd.conf"
#define RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE "conf/srm.conf"
#define TYPES_CONFIG_FILE "conf/mime.types"
#define ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE "conf/access.conf"
#define DEFAULT_XFERLOG "logs/access.log"
#define DEFAULT_XFERLOG "logs/access_log"
#define DEFAULT_ERRORLOG "logs/error.log"
#define DEFAULT_ERRORLOG "logs/error_log"
#define DEFAULT_PIDLOG "logs/httpd.pid"
#define DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD "logs/apache_runtime_status"
#define DEFAULT_LOCKFILE "logs/accept.lock"

which could be the default, with the GNU style paths being available via
a configure option.

Yes, I'd +1 that as well. And it wouldn't even be much harder than
making "--compat" the default (and omitting the creation of
Configure.apaci)

    Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Mch.SNI.De>      |        Siemens Information and
Phone: +49-89-636-46021          |        Communication  Products