httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <martin.krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:12:26 GMT
On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 04:41:15PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > But IF YOU USE IT, you will be
> > rewarded by an astonishingly easy way to configure your whole server
> > environment in a (albeit complicated long) single line. That's a
> > killer criterion for all those vendors out there who want to repeatedly
> > and reproducably generate the same (in different version numbers)
> > binary Apache package.
>
> yeah... like it would be with a single Configuration file that does
> the exact same :)

...which has to be maintained since Configuration.tmpl changes rather
often, and which doesn't deal with issues like path layout in general,
suexec parameters and the like and, most importantly, support for an
easy "make install" and even "make install
root=/my/pkgs/are/assembled/here"

> Again, the idea behind APACI, and on which it was approved IIRC, was that
> it provide a Front-end to Configure, not that it do things that Configure
> can't, nor that it's "default" results differ from those of a default
> Configure. It was supposed to compliment, not exclude or force.

Do you think that "filling the gaps" is a bad idea? The things that are
solved by configure could hardly be done by Configure.

I have the feeling that the main concern of Ken and you (and mine and
Marc's, in part) are the fact that the default paths are different
from the "standard" locations (/usr/local/apache/{conf,logs,htdocs}).

If that's all that is to it, why not ask for a fix of the locations?
The job that configure does is just great, and if we could manage to
find a base where we all think that it's worth taking advantage of
all the work configure can save us, lets head in that direction,
instead of complaining that "configure does things it was not entitled
to in the first place". I really prefer the added ease of use.

Just my $.02

    Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Mch.SNI.De>      |        Siemens Information and
Phone: +49-89-636-46021          |        Communication  Products