httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Mon, 09 Nov 1998 21:29:51 GMT
Ben Hyde wrote:

> The new configure mechanism is just plain better we should cling
> to that one fact.

Well, some would argue whether it is or not. Some people prefer
editing Configuration and then typing Configure over using configure.

> We should focus on the new mechanism.  Allow it to become the
> dominate mechanism.  Let the old mechanism become a layer under
> the new one (which of course it is already).  Leave the old mechanism
> only for compatiblity and not attempt to keep to the two in synch.

Except that it was never supposed to be the "dominant" mechanism.
It was only supposed to be this quiet little alternate way of
driving Configure. And even then, I can't recall if it was ever truly
officially approved. The concern was that once incorporated, it
would be "pushed" as the main mechanism, which seems to be what's
happening. I don't think that's what people wanted.

And the 1.3.x tree is no place to do this in any case.