httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Rasins <>
Subject SiteMetrics? Where are they getting their sites?
Date Fri, 06 Nov 1998 10:09:27 GMT

This is an FYI ....

Anybody know where SiteMetrics gets their sites ... it is sure not the
same as Netcraft!  Also, someone may want to contact Information Week
and let them know the "real" story!

Sambo	P-)

There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn
what it is I'll get married again.
		-- Clint Eastwood

{NOTE: The [random] quote above was provided via the 'fortune' program.}

Good Morning! Today is Nov. 6. And this is ...
------------INFORMATIONWEEK DAILY--------------
The E-Mail News Service For IT Decision Makers
* Now reaching more than 150,000 subscribers and growing *
from  I N F O R M A T I O N W E E K  magazine
........ ........

1) Top Stories:
   - State Of California Launches Online Procurement Bid
   - USWeb Taps Former Oracle VP For CEO Slot
   - Forrester Predicts Internet Market Could Hit
     $3 Trillion by 2003
   - Microsoft Makes Steady Gains In Web Server Market

____State Of California Moves To Online Procurement____

____________USWeb Hires Ex-Oracle VP As CEO___________

_____E-Commerce Market Could Hit $3.2 Trillion By 2003____

_____Microsoft Gaining On Rivals In Web Server Market_____
Microsoft is gaining a greater share of the market for Web
servers, according to a survey of Internet sites operated by
the country's largest companies. The results were released
Thursday by SiteMetrics Corp.

Microsoft's Internet Information Server has 28% of the
market, compared with about 22% six months ago. The open
source Apache server, however, is still the preferred
product and is used by 36% of all Web sites included in the
survey, which began earlier this year. Netscape Enterprise
Server brings up the rear at 19% of all sites.

At the top end of the market though, Netscape reigns with
its Web server used at 33% of 4,300 businesses surveyed that
have more than $1 billion in annual revenue. But even here
Microsoft is making inroads, narrowing Netscape's lead in
this segment from 14% to just 6% in the last six months.
Microsoft's IIS and Apache both hold 27% of the high-end Web
server market. Products from various smaller vendors make up
the remainder of the sites surveyed.

Users are switching from those second-tier vendors to the
Big Three, especially Microsoft, the survey found. The poll
was conducted by presenting questions to people who operate
53,000 Web domains or addresses that are owned by 30,000 of
the country's largest businesses. -- Gregory Dalton

For more IT news, see InformationWeek Online at

View raw message