httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3 and APACI: Points of view
Date Tue, 10 Nov 1998 18:37:53 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall writes:

A wonderful essay about APACI, thanks!

>  4. Hmmmm: Even some Apache developers still ignore APACI totally.
>     That's not a problem in general. Every one is free to use the non-APACI
>     way - even Apache developers. ...

Speaking from personal experience I didn't switch for a long time.  I
had built a huge Rube Goldberg device out of sed and shell scripts
to get from the sources to my various builds and installs.  I had no
desire to revisit my hairball.  For similar reasons I still haven't
started using the build outside the source tree stuff even though it
would make my mechanism so much simpler.

I suspect that is typical of most older Apache users and sites, hence
we our shoes are nailed to the floor and we have to support the old
API.  Have I mentioned that I think the new API is so much better.

The commercial solution to this is to "defer short-term pleasure for
long-term gain."  (I live in Puritan New England too.)  Warn the users
and then wack them on the next major or minor release.  At that time
we stop supporting the old interface.  It is always cruel in the short
term to abandon an interface, but it's very taxing in the long run to
maintain both or and fatal to decline to have improve things.

 - ben