httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: Core server caching
Date Fri, 30 Oct 1998 01:54:26 GMT
> On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > I've heard this 'CGI can do anything directly that an SSI can do'
> > waffle before.  While true, it's reinventing the wheel in the
> > CGI.
>
> Which is why I suggested php.
>
> > So Dean may find it boring, but that doesn't necessarily make
> > it so as an absolute.
>
> I don't find it motivating enough an application -- I want other more
> motivating "killer" applications if you will.  It's always worthwhile
> looking at a desired feature that's going to take a lot of code to add
> (filters, layered i/o) and ask "ok what will it really be used for?"

One recent feature that was added to PHP was an option to gzip the output
stream of the module.  It works fine, but architecturally I don't think
PHP should be responsible for something like that.  Others have mentioned
it, but a compression layer sounds like a pretty good example of
something that layered i/o is perfect for.

Another thing that was added to PHP is an XML parser (expat).  This could
potentially be a separate layer as well.

There are also weird and wacky things you would be able to do if you could
stack mod_php on top of mod_perl.

-Rasmus