httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Phillips <pa...@go2net.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Unified httpd.conf-dist
Date Tue, 20 Oct 1998 21:52:42 GMT

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Even though the One True Config file is nice (and I +1ed it) there are
> places where having things "seperate" also makes sense. For example, I
> like to keep all "generic" settings (the Max and Min family, etc) in
> httpd.conf, all <Directory> et.al. directives in access.conf and all
> the <VirtualHost> containers in srm.conf. I find it easier at times
> scanning thru 3 smaller files than one larger.

Even if they're to be in separate files, there ought to be a master
from which others are Include(d), and the naming should make sense.
The srm.conf and access.conf names aren't super logical these days.
We have ours split out as well, into such things as jserv-shared.conf,
but it's always httpd.conf that's in charge.

It would be cool to put all the performace tuning characteristics
into individually named *.conf files, and let the "high performance"
installations just swap what's commented out.  This could be further
extended to make integration of third party module configs easier.

--
Paul Phillips      | why would you want to own /dev/null?  "ooo!  ooo!  look!
Lost Sheep         | i stole nothing!  i'm the thief of nihilism!  i'm the new