httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Core server caching
Date Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:13:59 GMT

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Honza Pazdziora wrote:

> > I'm sure there are other applications... but none that convince me that we
> > want to spend a lot of time inventing a layered i/o model which has the
> > huge potential to slow down the server.  Look at STREAMS for an example of
>
> Well, it would slow down the server if it would be used, if you just
> had one module to fetch the file and send it to browser, not slowdown
> would show up.

... and now fit TransmitFile or sendfile() into the solution ...

... and fit mmap()/write() which is faster than read()/write() in many
cases ...

If the server could only be as fast as read()/write() allows it to be then
yeah you're right.  But that's not the end of things -- we could possibly
have pages mapped into a memory cache and we want those to go through the
stack with as few copies as possible.  A naive stack copies them at every
layer.

Dean