httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: FreeBSD 3.0 release notes
Date Sun, 18 Oct 1998 02:46:36 GMT
On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> In the "changes" section of the FreeBSD 3.0 release notes:
>
> o sleep(3) and usleep(3) are now implemented in terms of signanosleep(2)
>   and now have correct SIGALRM interaction semantics and sleep(3) correctly
>   returns the time remaining.  Some programs (notably apache httpd) bogusly
>   depend on a sleep() "absorbing" a SIGALRM from a timer that expires during
>   the life of the sleep.
>
> cause for concern?

No, I'm going to assume they're on crack unless they show where the bug
is.  I just love it when free software projects help each other out.  The
sharing spirit is so alive.

"correct SIGALRM interaction semantics" ?  Heh.  All interactions between
sleep() and SIGALRM are unspecified in the standards.  So doing anything
is correct, how impressive they got it right.

This message contains no sarcasm.

Dean