httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Removing ap_dummy_mutex from API
Date Sat, 03 Oct 1998 02:58:27 GMT

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Simon Spero wrote:

> This is also why garbage collection is so useful; all the conservative garbage
> collectors support finalizers, so you can collect OS resources as well as just
> memory. In Posix threads, the thread can chose whether to accept cancels or not. The
> two techniques combined make this problem a lot less hassle.

If the thread accepts cancels then all the libraries that it calls have to
accept cancels.  Otherwise it has to wrap all the calls with pthreads
calls to disable and re-enable cancels.  You have to assume that 3rd party
libraries have bugs with all forms of interruptions and cancels.

I don't see how garbage collection helps it.  Sure, we have that with
pools.  We can pick up any trash that's been recorded.  But what we can't
do possibly is clean up some on-disk state that's messed.  Like if you
were to cancel something in the middle of a dbm update...

Dean