httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: bug sending 100 all the time
Date Fri, 02 Oct 1998 02:01:13 GMT
On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >1. Every HTTP server SHOULD send 100 continue when it gets a request
> >with an entity, if it's prepared to read the request.
> >2. A HTTP client sending an entity should send the headers, then it SHOULD
> >wait five seconds or so for a 100 response, before going ahead and sending
> >the entity.
>
> Dude, #1 was "unless it has already determined the final response"

Right. Sorry; I hadn't thought that part of your original message through
completely yet.

> and #2 was changed in 1996 (nobody liked it, but it was needed for
> discussion).  I think all the short-term useless standards stuff in
> your noggin got flushed last year to make room for all that useless
> Stanford stuff they force undergrads to learn. ;-)

Yes :) Anyway, as I said, I was just commenting on why the code was like
it is. I haven't followed the HTTP standards in about two years, so I
plead ignorance on any changes since RFC 2068. My point was that that
version of HTTP/1.1 had a bunch of nasty SHOULDs that made it so that an
HTTP/1.1 request w/ entity would cause a five-second lag unless the server
sent 100 Continue with *every* response, regardless of what the final
response code would be.

I'm glad it got changed.