httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Removing ap_dummy_mutex from API
Date Thu, 01 Oct 1998 23:22:00 GMT
On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Dan Jacobowitz wrote:

> But I believe that the point of MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR was to
> indicate binary compatibility, right?

Yes. I'm starting to think the MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR/MINOR thing is
overkill, and possibly a bad idea, since it leads to confusion as to what
are minor and what are major changes.

Perhaps we should go back to a single MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER, and move to a
simpler binary-compatibility check: a simple
BINARY_COMPATIBLE_MAGIC_NUMBER define or such that gives the earliest
MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER-compiled binary object that the server will run?

That seems less confusing to me.

(It also avoids a problem I see with the _MINOR/_MAJOR scheme, which is
how do you easily do #if checking in source in a manner that easily works
with both the old and new define schemes?)