httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Quick Question: module structure initialization
Date Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:04:05 GMT
On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>

> > Just a quick question:
> >
> > Is it correct that ANSI C _guarantees_ C compilers initialize missing entries
> > (at the end) in structure initializations like our "module" structure to
> > 0/NULL?
> >
> > In other words: Is it safe when I add (inside the mod_ssl patch) two more hook
> > pointers to the "module" structure definition in http_config.h but the module
> > sources contain no explicit additional NULLs in their initialization of the
> > "module" structure?
> >
> > I hope this is the case because else it would be not possible to extend the
> > set of hooks without requireing third party modules to change their structure,
> > too. But NULLs for the additional hooks are needed or the stuff would
> > segfault...
>
> Could this be handled in the future (2.0) by having a macro that went into
> the end of the module declaration?

While I don't really know that this is a huge issue (since they are NULL
if they aren't there), it does make it look a little ugly with various
handlers tacked on the end.

What you suggest could be one way to deal with it, perhaps with a few
modifications.  But the thing that would have to be decided first is if we
even want to keep up with the (exposed) module structure idea; in a lot of
ways it would be cleaner to just make modules register their phases with
explicit function calls.  Internally it could be implemented the same, but
the struct isn't visable any longer then.