httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject general/3289: repeated connects kill the server (fwd)
Date Sun, 25 Oct 1998 17:54:22 GMT
<shrug>

I find their excuse about posting this anonymously horribly lame.  I don't
want to see them keep opening the same PR over and over and over just to
be a pain because they have some hangup about giving their address or
getting an account at one of 3842 free email services.

As to their problem, it seems obvious that NT/Navigator is broken and will
just keep opening connections.  There are lots of ways to do a similar
thing.  While I still think a general limit connections per host patch
should be in Apache, I really don't think this particular thing is too
worty of much attention.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 25 Oct 1998 15:42:12 -0000
From: Anonymous <anonymous@apache.org>
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: general/3289: repeated connects kill the server

>Number:         3289
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       repeated connects kill the server
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I'm posting this anonymously cause I don't care to take credit for discovering
this weekness.  You can choose to close this bug out too without investigating
it like the last time I reported it.  Yall can either fix the bug before the
whole world knows about it, or wait till the whole world knows and then fix it.

And yes the last time the bug was submitted it had PLENTY of information on
how to reproduce it.  So once again.... read the next section carefully.
>How-To-Repeat:
Run Netscape 4.0 on a Windows NT 4.0 workstation connected to the internet by a
modem (56K).  Load a web site with Netscape that is running off Apache.  Then
hold down the CTRL-R (Reload) key (hold down the keyboard key, don't click
toolbar button). Hold down the key for approximately one plus minute. Netscape
will attempt to reload this page over and over and over again at an extremely
high rate of speed.  Typically the send/recv lights both blink rapidly for a
while... then the server stops responding completely.  It doesn't kill the
machine because FTP and other TCP and UDP based protocols still function just
fine on the server.  Depending on factors yet unknown (strength of the web
server box, etc.) it may recover from this after a while or simply never recover
at all.
>Fix:
Don't close out the bug before giving it a valid review.