httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Fully qualified names
Date Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:09 GMT
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:

>   Apache currently will refuse to start up if it can't determine the fully qualified
> hostname for the local host unless you specify ServerName.  This makes a
> lot of sense when you are on the Internet, since a non-qualified name sent
> to a browser in a different domain would prove problematic.
>
>   But, if you have a local LAN--say, in a classroom--then there may be no
> domain to speficy, and the "unqualified" name is the correct thing.  It would
> be nice if Apache users didn't have to hard-code a name in the the config
> file in this case, where they may be no DNS in use.
>
>   What do people think about that?  I'd like to remove this failure case, but I
> imagine that there may be some disagreement here.

The problem is that accepting such a thing would would really break many
Internet systems where all Apache can figure out is an unqualified host
name, and there are a lot of such systems around.

I think that making people specify a ServerName in the odd case where
there is no qualified domain name is a better alternative than having
person after person complain that redirects don't work right.