httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject mod_mime/3238: New directive suggestion: AddCharset (fwd)
Date Mon, 19 Oct 1998 06:15:45 GMT
This needs to be looked at by someone who understands the support for and
use of charsets.

The implementation may well need cleaning up, but the idea sounds like it
may possibly have value if it isn't too expensive.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 19 Oct 1998 04:59:39 -0000
From: Youichirou Koga <y-koga@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: mod_mime/3238: New directive suggestion: AddCharset

>Number:         3238
>Category:       mod_mime
>Synopsis:       New directive suggestion: AddCharset
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
New directive suggestion: AddCharset

HTTP's default charset for Content-Type: is ISO-8859-1.
This default value is very convenient for languages which
are written with latin character. However it is not
convenient for some other languages (e.g. Japanese),
because we must specify a charset parameter explicitly and
we are using not only one charset but many charsets.
(e.g. iso-8859-1, iso-2022-jp, Shift_JIS, EUC-JP, and so on.)

We can use ForceType and AddType directives to specify
a charset parameter. Currently, if we set correct charset,
we must set it for all text/* media types using such directives,
but we don't use only one charset, as I've already written.

Now I propose adding a new directive, AddCharset to the mod_mime.
AddCharset directive allows us to set charset easily.

I have already implemented it. The patch and its manual is
available at following URL:
<http://www.isoternet.org/~y-koga/Apache/>

I hope you'll understand its necessity and merge it in next release.