httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Graceful child death? (fwd)
Date Mon, 19 Oct 1998 01:21:51 GMT
There is no way to do this.

I think this is a useful feature.

There are two ways it could be added: either the ability to set a flag
that the main request reading loop checks or the ability to call
clean_child_exit.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:32:23 +1100
From: Daniel Austin <dan@austlii.edu.au>
To: apache-modules@covalent.net
Subject: Graceful child death?

Hi,

I'm writing an Apache module that calls a database API directly.  This
database API was never really designed to be used in this way. After
some problems I've been advised by the developer that if his API ever
returns an error code marked as being "fatal" then my Apache process
should quit and not make any further calls on the API.

I guess I could just call exit(0) to force a child process to quit, but
then other modules exit handlers (cleanup) code would never be called.
And there's probably Apache cleanup code (?). So my question is -- is
there any way to indicate to Apache that, after this request is done,
the child should exit and a new one spawned?

Dan
--
Daniel Austin (dan@austlii.edu.au)
Primary Materials and Programming Support, AustLII