httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: Multilingual Apache [Was: Re: mod_mime/3238: New directive suggestion: AddCharset (fwd)]
Date Wed, 21 Oct 1998 05:22:24 GMT
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Konstantin Chuguev wrote:

Actually, cause of the braindead way MIME handles charsets (i.e. as part
of the content-type, rather than as an independendt dimension or variant),
the way to do this in apache, since version 0.98 is to either add in your
mime.types file or with AddType something along the lines of

html_latin1	text/html;charset=iso-...

In fact, using AddCharset would be counter productive (beleive me I
tried!) unles you fix the entire content struct; i.e.break the implicit
link between charset, content-type (and q factor, etc) breaking just about
every odule and causing subtle ssues with files like

	home.en.latin1.html

Which today just work fine.

> > The implementation may well need cleaning up, but the idea sounds like it
> > may possibly have value if it isn't too expensive.

> Just today the latest version is released: Apache-1.3.3-MultiWeb-3.2.
>
> Some details are on http://multiweb.urc.ac.ru/
>
> Unfortunately, not much documentation now, but I am working on it.
>
> Although my implementation is kind of expensive, I think it can
> be useful for somebody...

It is actually a nice piece of work; though I worry about the i18n side,
as it seems to have broken a server which does not have strictly
paralellel text in it. And yes it is very expensive :-).

I wonder if it could not be combined with mod_i18n which uses the CCC-API
and be slot in _before_ mod_negotiation; and then use fake q= factors for
all acept line (thus circumventing netscapes acept */*).
DW