httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_status.c
Date Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:57:39 GMT
On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> > >   -    char vhost[32];		/* What virtual host is being accessed? */
> > >   +    server_rec *vhostrec;	/* What virtual host is being accessed? */
> >
> > I was thinking, couldn't we do the same for 'request' as well? Simply point
> > ss->request to r->the_request? This would get rid of another string copy?
> > Can't do this with 'client' but request seems right.
> >

> Forget this... In fact, I think we need to back out the above. From what I
> can see, once the child dies, current_con goes away and thus the
> pointer for vhostrec is no longer valid, and so the data pointed
> to by r->server is garbage, or at least we have no guarantee of it's
> validity.

There is the exact same situation before and after the child dies.  In
both, we can not access memory from another child process.  the
r->server is _not_ created for each request, but is simply a pointer to
the struct created at config time.  Because it is created in the parent,
it will be at the same address in each child.