httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: general/3289: repeated connects kill the server (fwd)
Date Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:47:07 GMT
On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> Hmm; when trying this from an NT box with a serial wire connected to it
> rather than a ethernetcard, it seems to me that it is the NT's stack which
> gets overwhelmed. I get a 'dead' server apperanve on NT, but the actual
> server still lives on. (Server is just Apache 1.2 on a x486 freebsd 2.1
> box). I cannot quite reproduce using the network card. My gues would be
> that due to latency, whatever, the handshake takes to long on the modem
> link, it needs bits of buffers kept, and finally fills some crucial
> buffer.

Does Ctrl-Alt-T show the number of active connections maxed out in
Netscape?  If you try to telnet to the server manually from the
same box does it work?  If you exit and restart Netscape does it work?

> Perhaps the poster could check if the server is really down; and/or if for
> example 'telnet' to that same machine also shows it as being down. And/or
> if a reboot of the NT stations makes the server seemingly 'unhang' after
> having seemingly 'hung' it.

I am not going to play games with this person just because they refuse to
give any contact info yet expect us to help them.  It takes 2 minutes to
get an account at any one of dozens of free email services.