httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/conf access.conf-dist highperformance.conf-dist httpd.conf-dist srm.conf-dist
Date Sun, 04 Oct 1998 06:43:29 GMT
>What do we gain by leaving it commented out?  Erm... very litte.

That depends on what is in the cgi-bin directory relative to the
server root.

>What do we lose?  We just add one more step required for many people to
>get a working setup.

People don't need a cgi-bin directory for a working setup.  I prefer
to disable everything by default so that the installer is aware of
what has been enabled and not surprised later.  That's too hard for
most folks, so not enabling scripting is a reasonable middle road.

....Roy