httpd-dev mailing list archives

From j.@pa.dec.com (Jim Gettys)
Subject Re: bug sending 100 all the time
Date Fri, 02 Oct 1998 15:34:53 GMT

> Sender: new-httpd-owner@apache.org
> From: Alexei Kosut <akosut@leland.Stanford.EDU>
> Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 19:01:13 -0700 (PDT)
> To: new-httpd@apache.org
> Subject: Re: bug sending 100 all the time
> -----
> On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

Material elided.

> Yes :) Anyway, as I said, I was just commenting on why the code was like
> it is. I haven't followed the HTTP standards in about two years, so I
> plead ignorance on any changes since RFC 2068. My point was that that
> version of HTTP/1.1 had a bunch of nasty SHOULDs that made it so that an
> HTTP/1.1 request w/ entity would cause a five-second lag unless the server
> sent 100 Continue with *every* response, regardless of what the final
> response code would be.
>
> I'm glad it got changed.

We aim to please :-).

The point of the IETF process is to get such botches found and fixed.

RFC 2068 was rushed, as far as I was concerned; I'm much, much happier
with the current state of the document (in IETF last call right now).

Implementers will particularly like the index...
				- Jim