httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Core server caching
Date Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:16:20 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Dean wants examples of useful applications of this which don't amount to
> complete kludges... CGI -> SSI is a total kludge, you can do everything
> the SSI can do from the CGI itself.  Or you could use a real language like
> perl or php and get rid of the SSI that way.  So CGI->SSI is a really
> boring application.

The question was about Dean's reasoning, and he's answered it
fairly.  I just want to go on record with a differing opinion.

I've heard this 'CGI can do anything directly that an SSI can do'
waffle before.  While true, it's reinventing the wheel in the
CGI.  Consider a CGI script that picks and displays a set of
files based on the POTM (or whatever) after setting some
environment variables.  It's perfectly reasonable to want those
files to be parsed in order to maintain consistency and use
the envariables the script set up.  Otherwise the script would
have to do the parsing itself.  If scripts and parsed files
are supposed to have some sort of common format for their output,
a simple #include handles all cases for the files, but
each script needs to be manually modified to keep the layout in sync.

So Dean may find it boring, but that doesn't necessarily make
it so as an absolute.  I among others would like to see this
capability, and don't consider it a kludge at all.  Not the
optimal solution, possibly, but not a kludge either. :-)

#ken	P-)}