httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Exposed path in response code 500 messages
Date Thu, 15 Oct 1998 07:09:00 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:
>
> > ... "Options DebugServerErrors"
> >
> > Bleck.  There is no way anybody can debug their
> > server's errors without getting their hands dirty
> > in the log files.  Any suggestion otherwise is
> > a disservice and a tease to the user.

Fine, pick a keyword that says to you that using it will cause
the server to include debugging info in its Error 500 pages.
I'm easy.

> First, it shouldn't be an Options setting because they should go away.

Not constructive.  Show me another way for a core directive
setting to be made available in http_protocol without frobbing
the key structures and requiring an MMN bump.  Options may
well be going away in 2.0, but they're still here for 1.3.
In addition, using an Options keyword allows granularity setting --
you can enable or disable the text for user directories, for instance,
and not others.  I have a patch for this that I'll be submitting
for consideration shortly.

> Second, it should simply be under a different name like "verbose
> errors", etc.  Some people find it perfectly acceptable to reveal
> such information in responses; if they don't care, I'm not going to
> care for them.

As I said, pick a better keyword.  Don't just say "no."
"VerboseErrors" I find misleading because this only affects 500
errors, but I'll go with whatever seems the most happiness-producing.

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/