httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Removing ap_dummy_mutex from API
Date Fri, 02 Oct 1998 22:32:00 GMT
Without adding much value, I'll just note that the condition
handling scheme implemented in OpenVMS is truly elegant:
each stack frame can declare (or not) its own handler.
When an exception occurs, the OS walks up the stack frames,
giving each handler a shot at dealing with the exception.
The handlers can a) fix the problem and tell the OS to
restart the instruction that failed, b) say 'not my job'
and let the stack walk continue, or c) modify the condition
and unwind the stack as far as desired.  The last was
particularly useful, as it allowed a condition handler to
turn a condition or exception into a return status one
level up.

This was designed over two decades ago, and I've longed
for its elegance and simplicity in every other environment.
Things like try/catch and the like are kludges beside it.

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/